Thursday, June 23, 2011

Great new treatment for weight loss ... Anger Management!

I'm Simone and I have anger management issues.

I know this because whenever I get angry, I tend to go for chocolate.  Kind of like a valium only tastier, and with a completely contrary outcome to that which I desire.  Increased fat and caffeine in the system, which only serves to make me more cross, and less healthy.

Yesterday I met with an interesting little group of 4, with no particular agenda other than to get to know each other better, and discovered that I was not alone.  The stresses of the world right now seem to making us all a little bit angrier - be it that the financial downturn is having a direct affect on our lives, or that tourism is in fact a racist business, or that it just makes us cross when people aren't nice to each other, there's lots of little things out there making us angry.

As I speak to my clients I am learning a wide range of strategies for dealing with this ... most of which unfortunately involve food.

Get angry - eat.  BAD CHOICE.

Generally because we choose bad food at a time like this.

It's not rocket science to know that healthy food makes us feel better, delivers more energy and promotes a longer healthier life, but somehow it is beyond most of us to stop in a moment of anger and MABC (make a better choice).

Consider the outcome
1) eat chocolate, takeaway, cake, etc  = guilt and need for punishment;
2) eat salad = feel good and proud of decision, have more energy, relax mood, gain health

In a moment of anger your choice can equal either pleasure or pain.  This is your choice.

Today I challenge you to find a strategy that helps you MABC.

Mine is a mantra - I am privileged to be fit, healthy and strong, my body and my mind deserve the best.  Simply saying it removes the chocolate option.

Your choices give you power and make you the outstanding individual you are today.  In your moments of decision today, stay clear about what is best for you and make the best choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment