Sunday, May 22, 2011

Planking ... what the?

This week I feel like a piece of my brain is missing.  I just don't get the whole 'planking' thing and for the first time in my life I find myself agreeing with Tony Abbott.

Now I won't be voting for him anytime soon, but I do like his suggestion that if people have a need to prove themselves, then better to "get on the bike and ride faster or take their surfboard out on the patrolled beach".  Not just more sensible, but it has to be more FUN!

How ridiculous is planking?

In the gym everyone groans when the word plank is mentioned, as it conjures up visions of a very challenging static exercise designed to give you abs of steel, via the concentration required to keep the abdominal muscles lifted.  Even with my variations and modifications it's still hard to get 'planking' to raise a smile.

In the construction industry is a plank is a piece of wood.

Think about it people ... plank = dull!!

In Pirates of the Carribbean Johnny Depp walked the plank as Captain Jack Sparrow ... and that's probably about the only time 'planking' of any sort is going to rate with me, because he managed to make it look like fun ... and he kind of looks like fun too ;)

In two weeks time Cairns will host the amazing ultra marathon "Challenge Cairns" http://www.usmevents.com.au/Triathlon___Multi_Sport/Challenge_Cairns.htm comprising a 42km; a 180km bike ride and a very long swim.  This event will challenge the elite athletes of the world and create a spectator event that inspires, motivates and delivers on the emotional needs of the general public who want and need heroes to aspire to and something to believe in.

Stop planking and start living.

If you want to have fun with social media and find some stuff that will get you moving well, feeling good and having fun, forget planking - get onto FB and try these:

USM Events
Lance Armstrong
ViPR
TRX Training
and my personal favourite - Fitness, Form & Function!

If you still feel the need to plank, well, try and do it properly  Paul Chek has some ideas.  See the links and inject the fun back into life.





I still love this one for pure passion ... note, no planking!!



2 comments:

  1. Great read Simone! Nice one. I've heard of plateauing but planking is a new one ...
    Hey, would love your comment on my topic of the week - "is it possible to have too much drive". Head on over to http://deepfriedfruit.blogspot.com/2011/05/day-593-help-me-to-win-new-ford.html
    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete