Monday, April 9, 2012

Damaged ... or Driven ... it's a choice!

A long long time ago on a blog virtually identical to this one I made mention of the Power Plate.  You can check it out here Good Vibrations

So, now a few steps further into the journey I have to say that anything really is possible, especially when you believe.

I am now working with D1 and D2 - my former client's 'paraplegic' mother and her mother's 'incomplete quadraplegic' friend.

Both ladies under their own steam are mobile and able to do pretty much everything that you and I do to get on with life, however the function and sensations of their bodies are vastly different to ours.

D1 has been regularly using Power Plate since the beginning of this year and D2 is this week up to week 3.  D1 hits the gym with me every week for upper body strengthening work and the ocassional boxing sesh to let her inner Rocky roar.  Today D2 told me that she was able to walk for 25 minutes yesterday and had so much energy she felt she could have cleaned the house from top to bottom last night.  (Find me one able bodied, injury free person, who even gives that idea contemplation!!)  That's a lot of energy.

Both D1 and D2 have indicated a reduction in unwanted muscle spasms, more sensation in some muscles and a feeling that things are 'waking up'.  D1 is conscious of strength improvements in getting up and down and the ability to 'do more' in other areas, including aqua training and cardio on an exercise bike.

It's amazing, amazing stuff and so rewarding to see the power of increased physical awareness and strength in bodies that have been unexpectedly damaged by circumstance.

Life is not what happens to us, but how we react and respond to what happens to us.  D1 and D2 respond with energy and drive to a challenge that is completely incomprehensible to all of us that have not experienced it.  I am inspired every time I see or talk to them.  How lucky am I?

Now, I'm just waiting for their permission to post some of the photos and video footage so you can be inspired too.

No comments:

Post a Comment