Friday, April 13, 2012

Three wise women want a pow wow with the doctors!!

Yesterday I had the wonderful privilege of spending an unexpected few hours with two very wise women.

I say unexpected as I had planned to pop in for a quick Enjo demo - curiosity finally getting the better of me - and be gone in time to read my children a couple of bedtime stories.  The universe conspires however to always give us what we need, and I was welcomed with warm hugs, sat down in front of healthy food, and far from a sales pitch the three of us embarked on a conversation about life, love, the universe and everything ... and I mean absolutely everything!!

(Before you give me the bad mummy award, my loving partner was totally in control of the situation and today I have surprisingly happy children running around me drawing dinosaurs, firing off nerf guns and generally being surprisingly happy and cooperative 3 & 5 year olds.  Who knows why, but again the universe is looking after me!!)

So firstly - GRATITUDE.  Thank you universe for delivering so much in such a short space of time.

And secondly - A BETTER QUESTION to move us forward (the outcome of three wise women over a cup of tea) -

What can I do to improve the overall health and attitude of the people of Cairns?

Over the past week I have had reason to discuss health, medication and short and long term treatment for physical and mental illness with lots of people.  (For the record I am not a doctor - people just tell me stuff)

Out of these discussions one thing has become very clear.  Doctors generally have only enough time to write a prescription and hand out an information sheet to help we every day individuals to handle the physical and mental ailments that manifest in our lives.  Doctor, Doctor - I believe that I, and my fitness industry colleagues, have an opportunity to help here.

Here's what I propose:

1. That anyone who is diagnosed with a) Hypertension (high blood pressure); b) Type 2 diabetes; or c) Depression, be automatically given a referral to a suitably qualified, insured and experienced fitness professional.

2. That the community of Personal Trainers and Fitness Professionals in Cairns join together to lobby local government, state government and federal government to make fitness training 'prescription' and support a rebatable service through Medicare and Private Health Funds.

Fitness training, personal training changes lives.  Those changes are far reaching for the individuals and the communities in which they live.  Improved fitness improves health, enables people to make better choices about food and life, reduces the risk and impact of lifestyle diseases and can in some cases can eliminate the need for medications for hypertension, type 2 diabetes and depression.  Fitness is truly an amazing 'product'.

The upshot of it all is that by making fitness affordable and accessible more people would choose it as firstly a treatment, and secondly a way of life.  The long term impact is a massive improvement in the overall physical and mental health of our community.  By taking responsibility for our own health and fitness and creating a 'prevention is best' mindset, we can create a community of success and positivity.

Now, I'm hoping this isn't a new idea and someone has already got the ball rolling on this one nationally.  My proposal is more about bringing together the amazing community of allied health professionals and fitness trainers in the far north to create the positive change that we all know is possible and will enable this area to truly thrive.  We may be remote, but we are quite amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment